Monday, March 28, 2011

Sinful nature vs Holy Spirit

Romans 8:8 – That is why those who are under the control of their sinful nature can never please God.

Verse 7 states that the sinful nature could never, never ever, obey God. If we are under the control of the sinful nature there is no way we could EVER please God. For me, my love of God drives my obedience. When I sin I usually feel guilty not because it happened, but because my love of myself trumped my love of God in that moment. The Holy Spirit resides in me….but so often the control I let it have is minimal. Sin is slavery. Christ has set me free yet most times I revert back to my enslaved condition. It is a vicious, vicious cycle. It makes sense why Paul couldn’t wait to be rid of this world, if I were more aware of just how atrocious my sin is I would be more impatient for heaven as well.


Romans 8:9 But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Holy Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you (and remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them are not Christians at all)

I find this verse hard to grasp but pretty self explanatory. Sometimes I’ve questioned whether or not I have the Spirit in me. I have accepted Christ as my Savior…EVERYONE has been given the Spirit when this occurs. The Spirit does not care about race, popularity, or wealth. If you are truly a Christian then you have the Spirit. Whether we follow the Spirit is another thing, but we have it in us at all times. We are never alone and never without help.


Romans 8:10 Since Christ lives in you, even though your body will die because of sin, your spirit is alive because you have been made right with God.

YAY

No comments: