Friday, March 18, 2011

Our Default Ways


Day 5 – Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things. But those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit – Romans 8:5

This verse really got me thinking. I thought about what I think about (yeah…SO confusing). What thoughts dominate my mind? What consumes my days? Movies, music, actors, and books, everything it seems…except God. 


Day 6 – If your sinful nature controls your mind there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind there is life and peace – Romans 8:6

It sounds so bad, mind control. But either way something controls your mind. You (aka your sinful nature) or the Holy Spirit (when you deny yourself and follow Christ). And I love that there is no promise of money or happiness or health. There is life and there is peace. We live in a fallen world and we are plagued with sin both from ourselves and from others. The banks account may be low, the smile gone and the health waning…but you have the Holy Spirit and with him comes life and peace.
Following our sinful nature may be money and happiness and health…but those are temporary, they are like waves on a beach, there one minute and gone the next. And worst of all they lead no where. nothing is waiting at the end of life on this earth except death.


Day 7 – The sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God’s laws and it never will – Romans 8:7

This is the very reason why Jesus tells us that to follow Him we must deny ourselves and take up our cross. The sinful nature is ALWAYS against God. The first man and woman listened to that voice and obeyed it..ever since then we battle with following our sinful ways or following God. It's a choice, free will, choose me or choose Him. And I don't know about you but for me, more often than not, I choose me. Denying myself gets better with discipline, but I'm not perfect and never will be on this earth. We were given the Holy Spirit for this very reason..so there was SOMEONE else telling us which way to go, because our default nature is TOTALLY against God. 

No comments: