Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Obedience and Submission

“But Samuel replied, ‘What is more pleasing to the Lord: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to His voice? Listen! Obedience is more pleasing than sacrifice and submission is better than offering the fat of rams” – 1 Sam 15:22




This is one lesson that thousands of years later we still have yet to get through our skulls. So many times I catch myself doing and doing and doing for God, thinking that by these things I gain favor. Then I catch myself. Nothing I do makes my sin less despicable, absolutely NOTHING. The other day I read about 20 men gang raping an 11 year old. I was sick to my stomach. Even thinking about it now makes me sick. And as I prayed for that little girl and for those men God reminded me that my sin is just as horrible to him. It may have different consequences and a lower degree on earth but to Him my sin makes him sick. He loves them just as much as He loves me. I hope He reminds me more often so I can try to wrap my mind around just how much I need a Savior.

Innocent blood needed to be shed in order to cover the people’s sin so God commanded sacrifice. But He doesn’t need dead lambs and first fruits. Nothing we give Him can come remotely close to redeeming ourselves. We are a lost cause. That’s why Christ is SO amazing. He covered us. His perfection stands in front of our imperfection. He gave up His life so that we may have life and live it to the fullest that is why when we accept Christ our life is no longer our own. We give up our sinful ways to God and trust Him to mold and shape us into His image.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship Romans: 12:1

How do we offer ourselves as a living sacrifice? By obedience and submission to the Lord. And we’ve come full circle =)

No comments: