Sunday, July 18, 2010

To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark

I've decided to write about why I love to read so much. I remember learning to read very clearly. But I loved books before I could even read. I had this book that my mother read to me so many times I memorized it and though I couldn't read (I think I was about 4) I "read" that book constantly, turning the pages and spouting off the words. As the daughter of a bookworm I naturally fell into the world of books. I remember reading the Little House books, The Giver, and numerous other books. In elementary school during recess I was usually found in the library...just to be with the books. So here are just some of the reasons why books are amazing...
1. I love knowing that somewhere, sometime, someone else enjoyed this book as much as I am. I think that especially with classic literature. It's a very "whoa" moment when you think that a girl my age probably sat in her garden or in a window with her petticoats about her reading this book and enjoying it just as much. That men and women's hearts and lives were touched by these books.....wow
2. One of my favorites parts of reading is turning the page. When I have a good book my fingers rest under the page just waiting to turn it. Turning the pages, revealing more the story, more of the lives, more of the thoughts...it's just wonderful
3. I love the way a book transports me. It's like a Scotty with a binding. I can get lost for what seems like hours in a book, yet in reality it's only been 15 or 20 minutes. To feel like you're not only in the story but a part of it..that, my friends, is the mark of a good book.
4. I love how some characters stay with me. When I read the book again it's like visiting an old friend. To once again read the book with Clayton, a character I was in love with. To live life again with Delancey and  Mackenzie. To be right there with Angel as she struggles. To be with Jonas as he discovers color, war and snow. I could go on and on...but you get what I'm talking about =)

So those are just some of the reasons I love to read. It's a part of me and I hope to never stop.

No comments: