Thursday, July 21, 2011

An Image that Teaches Lies

“Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak." Habbakuk 2:18

an image that teaches lies

One such image sprang to the forefront of my thoughts, society's definition of what it means to be beautiful. It's an image that has spread like wildfire throughtout most of the world.
Plastered on just about every billboard and seen constantly on tv is what this world considers a beautiful person.
The message being recieved by millions is that if you don't look like this then you are not beautiful
What a load of crap.

I have personally struggled with my self image for YEARS. I have the highly sought after hourglass figure but it was the bigger version and not a smaller one. I have the beautiful curly hair but it's curls are crazy and unpredictable not soft and perfect. I have a cute face but it's only cute when I smile.

Why did I, and sometimes still do, believe this? I believed those lies that the devil surrounds me with. I would see the photos and shows and ads and tune my ear to that whispering of "you're not good enough"

They're wrong and WAY off base. I AM beautiful and so are you. It's not our physical attributes that define our beauty but who we are on the inside. And what is inside radiates out causing breathtaking beauty. We are like stained glass windows, our true beauty is not ignited until we radiate from the inside out.


No comments: