Monday, February 28, 2011

My Servant

I've been reading in Jeremiah lately. Although it is not my favorite book it IS enlightening.


One passage in the chapters I've been reading keep jumping out at me.

"....my servant Nebuchadnezzar" (Jer 25:9, 27:6) Nebuchadnezzar, or Nebbie as I will henceforth refer to him as, was the King of Babylon in the early 600s. His name was synonymous with fear, on par with Attila the Hun and Hitler. Yet God still refers to him as a servant. Every time I read those three words I'm filled with awe and comfort oddly enough. Awe in that Nebbie still served God and was an intricate part of His major plan. And what makes me think that I can't serve God? Too many times Christians feel like they aren't good enough. If God can use Nebbie, the most feared man at the time, for his greater purpose then why can't He use me? And I take comfort in knowing that I serve God. I may not serve Him like I WANT since I am human, but even in my shortcomings and repentance I serve Him.

Now back to Nebbie......

He's the King in the well known bible story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego (Daniel 3) He made an image of gold and commanded his kingdom to worship this idol or be thrown into a blazing furnace. Rach, Shach and Benny (veggietales nicknames ^_^) refused to worship this idol and declared they would only worship the one true God. Nebbie summoned them and asked them point blank if it was true that they would not serve is golden idol. He said "Now when you hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipe and all kinds of music, if you are ready to fall down and worship the image i made, very good. But if you do not worship it, you will be thrown immediately into a blazing furnace. Then what god will be able to rescue you." (Daniel 3:15) Sounds to me like a challenge...haha

Rach, Shach, and Benny replied "King Nebbie, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If the God we serve is able to deliver us, the he will deliver us from the blazing furnace and from your Majesty's hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know your Majesty, that we will not serve your goods of worship the image of gold you have set up" (Dan 3:16-18)

He threw them into the furnace, God delivered them, and Nebbie's kingdom worshiped the one true God from then on.



And this, dear friends, is why God ASTOUNDS me.

No comments: