Saturday, May 29, 2010

For God so loved the world...

Those words used to mean nothing to me. Growing up in church, hearing those words from a young age, made the words meaningless to me. They were just words.
 In middle school and high school I used to envy those who didn't grow up in church, who read the Bible and saw the Word of God with fresh eyes and new heart. I had the same heart I've always had and reading the Bible was just rereading the stories I've heard all of my life. I didn't truly understand just what God did, why Jesus came, and what God is doing in and around us.
We've been studying Romans 8 at church. Sadly, I haven't been there for all of it but tonight's message really hit home with me. 
If you've read my past notes you know that I am in love with Love. The songs, the gestures, the books, the thoughts, and most of all the One who IS Love. I yearn to love God more and I pray that that yearning will never go away and will only get stronger. As I learn what love is and how to put it into action I've learned to fully love my family, friends, and even those I can't barely stand. If you want to learn more about love I recommend reading "The Four Loves" by CS Lewis or "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. Both will open your heart to what love truly is. 
"Some of the most profound things are simple yet hard to understand" That's exactly what God's love is. I wish there was another word I could use besides "love" It has so many meanings and for some it has so many negative connotations. 
"He who did not spare his own son, but gave him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?" This verse comforts me to my core. If God sent what He loved most, His only Son, to DIE for me what makes me think he wouldn't take care of me in every other area of my life? What makes me think He doesn't care?

No comments: