Sunday, November 9, 2008

When my mind starts to wander.....

Not long ago a non-Christian asked me what I thought about other religions. As much as I hated to admit I said that I didn't have the knowledge or information to provide a valid argument as to why I oppose those religions. Most religions I didn't know anything about. So I decided to educate myself on the basics of some of the world's most popular religions. And today I read about Buddhism. I don't agree with Buddhism at all, mind you, BUT I think that if I applied some of their ideas to my relationship with God it would help me to become closer to Him and bring Him glory.
Today I read about the Noble Eightfold Path. While Buddhists use this path to gain enlightenment, I would rather use to for God's glory.
1. Right view: the right way of looking at life, nature and the world as they really are. A reality check if you will. It reminds me of a C. S Lewis quote I read "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun rises, not only because I see it but because by it I see everything else."
2.Right intention: constantly aspire to get rid of any qualities that are wrong or immoral. Immediately my mind jumped to Phillipians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." And then I looked up "immoral" in my concordance and this verse jumped at me. Colossians 3:5 "Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry." and then it goes on later to say Colossians 3:7-8"You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips." We are called to rid ourselves of these qualities and with God's help we can. God's amazing like that ^_^
3. Right speech: abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, and from idle chatter. Something I think we should ALL do because it is something we are all guilty of. There are many proverbs that mention this. Proverbs 10:31 "The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but a perverse tongue will be cut out." I really liked Proverbs 12:18 "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." What first came to mind was the verse about the tongue being a double edged sword, but I couldn't find it anywhere. :(
4. Right action: living morally upright in the activities of life. What sprang to mind was what Jesus said in Matthew 25: 34-40 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Ok that is all for now....I will give you the rest of the 8 after lunch (Office quote...I couldn't help myself!)

No comments: