Monday, October 6, 2008

David...a Man after God's own Heart

One person has been on my mind all day: David.
War hero.
Adulterer.
Musical Prodigy.
Shepherd.
Murderer.
Poet.
Lover.
King.
And through grace was still called a man after God's own heart.
The man is obviously too great and his history too extensive to put in a blog. But I really wonder how he felt sometimes. This man, at a young age, took down a giant with nothing but a slingshot and a couple stones. It would be pretty hard not to let that go to your head, to accept the praise that people gave and think you did it all on your own. Yet his ego never swelled. That along with being chosen by the king to play music for him. Being crowned king..and many many other accomplishments he still, for the most part, remained a humble man of God. I honestly couldn't do it. My pride and ego would be bigger than the Titantic. Why was he like this? Because "The Spirit of God entered David like a rush of wind, God vitally empowering him for the rest of his life" 1 Samuel 16:13 (msg) Wow. I bet that was interesting to watch.
And the man had the faith to rock the depths of the ocean. After being told by King Saul that he basically couldn't fight Goliath David answered, "I've been a shepherd, tending sheep for my father. Whenever a lion or bear came and took a lamb from the flock, I'd go after it, knock it down, and kill it. Lion or bear, it made no difference-I killed it. And I'll do the same to this Philistine pig who is taunting the troops of God-Alive. God, who delivered me from the teeth of the lion and the claws of the bear, will deliver me from this Philistine" 1 Samuel 17:34-37. I can just imagine, after that speech, King Saul replying timidly "Touche"
It is widely known that there is nothing special about being a shepherd. Yet God chose this man, a lowly shepherd, to do the unimaginable.
Everyone loved David. Men, women, and children from the villages of Israel praised David. Everyone admired him except Saul. Even Saul's sons and daughters loved David. The bible says that Michal, Saul's daughter, was in love with David (1 Samuel 18:20) and that Jonathon, Saul's son, had a deep love for David (1 Samuel 18:5) and treasured him (1 Samuel 19:1) and even warned David of his father's evil plot to kill him. (1 Samuel 19:2)
That's a whole lot of lovin' in the kingdom of Israel.
And although it is tragic I do love Jonathon and David's story of friendship. Friendship that is tested time and again. True friendship is what these men shared. I had never really read about Jonathon and David before, but now I am touched by them. Their story, found in 1 Samuel 20, is an amazing story of love, friendship and loyalty.
And the songs that David wrote; the groans and cries of a man beaten and broken and the praises and amorous words that still reflect and comfort us more than 2000 years later. His skill on the harp and lyre were unparalleled and can you imagine his voice? I bet it was the Three Tenors meets Josh Groban. A voice so beautiful and soothing....but powerful and passionate. A voice that reflects the heart within.
The man honestly blows my mind. It's a shame that there isn't more historical evidence of him outside of the bible. I can't wait to learn more about him and how God worked in his life. What I need is one of those "Idiots Guide to David"
^_^

And this post wouldn't be complete without a song from our own modern David, although he is no king or shepherd and hopefully not a murderer, he is a man who's lyrics and songs speak to many as their hearts speak to the Lord. He is Phil Wickham
Mystery
Here in the Quiet speak to me now
My ears are open to
Your gentle sweet whispering
Break down the door, come inside
Shine down Your bright light
I need a lamp for my feet, I need a lamp for my feet

I want to hear the thunder of who You are
To be captured inside the wonder of who You are
I want to live I want to breathe
To search out Your heart and all of Your mysteries

You were the first and You’ll be the end
Time cannot hold You down
Why save a wretch like me?
No eye has seen, no ear has heard
No heart could fully know
All of Your mystery

Your glory burns in the stars
Shine down your light let it burn in my heart
Bring me to glory, bring me to you
Lord it’s your heart that I will hold onto

Your glory burns in the stars
Shine down Your light let me know who You are
Jesus, Your glory burns in the stars
Shine down Your light, let me see You, let me see You

(acoustic version below...I'm a sucker for acoustic)

No comments: